WATCH: Jeri on the importance of training, timing

Jeri
Singer-songwriter Jeri believes unpolished talents can only get you so far in the music industry.

"You may have been born a good singer but you can be a great singer if you hone your talent," he said at a press conference tendered for the release of his latest song "Di Ka Mag-iisa." "Singing is a skill and like any other skill, it can be learned and improved."

Fyi, Jeri trained under The Music School of Ryan Cayabyab and before that, with a classical singer who is a member of the University of the Philippine Madrigal Singers. 

The same goes for songwriting. Jeri doesn't settle for the "first" version of his compositions but instead, edits his works. Even at such a young age, the artist has written songs with the likes of Vehnee Saturno and Jonathan Manalo no less.

Jeri

"'Di Ka Mag-iisa' started as a ballad while 'Gusto Kita' (the predecessor) was a fast song," Jeri revealed. "Kung mapansin niyo, nagkabaliktad yung dalawa. 'Gusto Kita" became a slow R&B tune while 'Di Ka Mag-iisa' became faster, with more bounce."

He has penned 10 "complete" songs so far, but he is carefully timing the order of their release. This way, his music "represents the kind of artist I am and my transition into the artist I'd like to become." 

Asked about his songwriting process, Jeri smiled.

"I try not to sing in the shower. I noticed that when I'm silent with my own thoughts, dun lumalabas ang music," he said. "Usually, puro humming lang muna then I go to the piano or pick up the guitar to see if I can make a song out of the melodic lines."

Less than a year since the release of "Gusto Kita," Jeri feels more "relaxed" on being a pop singer, slowly coming out of his shell. He looks forward to collaborating with Moira and P-pop girl group, Bini. 

"I used to feel so shy, so agitated," he said. "I'd get easily nervous before, whenever I'd get asked questions (by the media). Now, my answers come from the heart kaya they come across naturally."



Comments