Councilor Alfred Vargas Abandons Vice

Councilor Alfred Vargas 

Everybody knows smoking is a bad habit---and one of the hardest to break, says Councilor Alfred Vargas.

In a recent tweet, the public servant inspires smokers by saying quitting is possible and that it can be lasting resolution and action if one remains determined. The last time he lit a cigarette was in 2003 and 20 years, hence, he is still fighting the good fight and winning handsomely one day at a time.


Below is a question and answer exchange with Alfred regarding the vice:     
  

How old were you when you first started smoking? Why did the vice stick?

"I was in high school when I first tried smoking. Nadala sa peer pressure, coming of age time. Nagbibinata, trying to discover things. Start ng mga gimik, soiree, and barkadahan." 

When did you first think about quitting? What was your biggest motivation?

"I wanted to quit from the start. Di ko lang napansin na naging habit ko na before. My dad was a chain smoker and I didn’t want to be like that. "Nung nag aartista nako and making a living na, I told myself that ayokong tumandang naninigarilyo. It’s for my health and well-being, not for anything else. " 

 What were the biggest sacrifices you had to make or change in your lifestyle when you quit?

"I experienced extreme withdrawal for two months. Nagkasakit ako! I got hot-headed and easily irritated. I lost focus in everything I did---I couldn’t even read properly. I didn’t go out at all during this time because I wanted to avoid temptations. I sacrificed my short-term fun for my long-term goal of really being healthy. I lost some friends along the way coz hindi daw ako maruning makisama at KJ (kill joy) na daw ako." 

 What motivates you to remain a 'quitter?
'
"Right now, I have this burning desire to try my best to live longer, healthier and happier for my family. I want to see my children graduate, have successful careers of their own, meet my grandchildren and spend time with them. I want to travel the world further with my wifey and family. "My mother died of cancer kasi. And so did several of my relatives. Natatakot ako sa cancer coz of this family history. And the best way to minimize my chances is to live a healthy life and stay away from stress."  

Advice to other smokers who want to quit?

"Do it now. There’s no perfect time for quitting but NOW. You can do it.
"The way I did it was through cold turkey. I stopped instantly. I remember distinctly that on the night of August 23, 2003, twenty years ago, I smoked my last pack.

 "It’s not easy. The first few days of quitting are manageable but it becomes more difficult as time passes. Hangout with people who don’t smoke. With people who have the same life goals and health goals as you." 

 Biggest advantages of smoking cessation?

"Having a healthy body and a sharp mind. I've been able to lift heavier weights, run longer, sleep better, good state of mind, better mood, and I had a lot more energy after quitting smoking." 

 What do you tell yourself whenever you feel the urge to smoke again?


"I tell myself, “Been there, done that, and I don’t want to be that old self of mine anymore.' "It remains a challenge until today. But it’s a battle I intend to win every time. And so far, 20 years down the road, so far, so good."

Comments