KIANA V IS FINDING HER VOICE

Kiana V

Nothing’s more surprising than winning an award you didn’t even know you were nominated for. Kiana V was named Female R&B Artist of the Year at the last edition of the PMPC Star Awards for Music. She won for her single “Corners,” which was a pleasant surprise to her and her team.

“When I got the announcement and all the congratulations, I felt honored even to be considered. It made me reflect on when I first started working on this song and how I had zero plans for it. I just knew I loved it. Receiving an unexpected nomination and trophy for it makes me appreciate it all the more,” she says.

Kiana wrote “Corners” about how it feels to always have someone on your mind and know, beyond the shadow of any doubt, that you’re also on theirs. She’s no stranger to the feeling of being on people’s minds. After all, as the youngest child of OPM icon Gary Valenciano, Kiana has been in the public eye from the moment she was born. Kiana successfully navigated the expectations that come with being Mr. Pure Energy’s daughter. But she eventually moved to the US to make a name for herself outside her famous family.

“It allowed me to explore different perspectives and shut out some of the pressure I dealt with in the Philippines,” she says of the move. “It ushered in tremendous growth in my career and personal life. It was a little scary, but the right decision. I’ve learned so much about myself.”

She didn’t just leave behind the weight of other people’s expectations; she also left behind her last name. On music streaming services like Apple Music and Spotify, she goes by “Kiana V,”—which was a conscious decision on her part. She considered dropping the ‘V’ altogether, but her team at the time suggested she keep it.

“When I released my first batch of new music, I wasn’t sure where I wanted to take my sound. But I felt carrying my last name would cloud people’s judgment of me and keep them from separating my journey from my family’s,” she says.

When Kiana changed her stage name and zip code, she changed her life. After releasing a five-track EP that earned praise from international publications like NME, PAPER, and SPIN, she performed at the prestigious SXSW (South By Southwest) music festival in Austin, Texas. She was the lone Pinoy on the bill, alongside Japan’s Haru Nemuri and South Korea’s HAEPAARY and Y2K92.

“SXSW was an inspiring experience. It came and went so quickly, almost like I didn’t have a chance to catch my breath and enjoy the moment until I was back in LA. My favorite part was jumping from show to show and meeting other artists in the Artists’ Village. One evening, I set out on my own and watched an entire showcase myself. I loved it,” she gushes.

Kiana moved to the US at the right time because the world has become more receptive to music by Asian artists—with K-pop groups leading the way. She turned philosophical when asked what she and other Filipino artists need to do to succeed internationally.

“Many artists, including myself, feel lost because we constantly compare ourselves to others. In the process of doing so, we belittle all the hard work we’ve put in, which is a waste of time. I believe the first step to ‘making it’ is to define what that means to you. Set your goals, work feverishly toward them, and embrace all the opportunities that come your way. Finally, keep your support system close and be open to honest feedback and evolution.”

Currently, Kiana is trying to figure out what to do with the new material she’s been working on. Her frequent collaborators include Asher Yelo and Jesse Barrera, but she hopes to work with hitmaker SZA of “SOS” fame and Victoria Monet—a producer, singer, and songwriter best known for working with Ariana Grande on Thank U, Next.

“I love the unreleased songs I have, but I know the moment I share them with the world, they won’t be mine anymore, you know? Last year I promised to have fun in the recording studio and not worry too much about deadlines, labels, and numbers. I’m finally starting to find my voice, and I don’t want to rush that. I have no doubt I’ll release new material this year, but who knows what it might sound like?”

Who knows, indeed. Kiana V is stepping into her power; half the fun lies in finding where her voice will take her.

Comments