Alfred Vargas pursues PhD at UP Diliman

Alfred Vargas

Many people were delighted to see Alfred Vargas at UP Diliman recently, giving out roses randomly to people who all appreciated the sweet gesture.

While some thought it was merely a Valentine's Day stunt for social media, it's not so. Alfred was there to pursue studies.

"After finishing my Masters in Public Ad in 2021, I took the entrance exam of the college last year naman (2022)," he said. "I passed it, and I am now pursuing my PhD in PSURP (UP School of Urban and Regional Planning) to become an urban planner."

The public servant estimates it will take him from four to five years to complete the task at hand but Alfred knows it's worthwhile investment of time and effort.


"I’ll first have to get my urban planning diploma for the first two years, then masters for urban planning for another year," he enthused. "Then my PhD for another 1-2 years, depending on my schedule... "

Alfred confessed he loves studying and doesn't consider it a chore at all.

"I love being a student again," he said. "I get a lot of insights and wisdom from my profs and classmates which I can apply as public servant."

The handsome actor, who was recently awarded a Diamond Golden trophy, added: "Learning is an everyday process. It should never end. I think I’ll continue to study, study, and study until I’m a senior citizen!"
Unless you didn't know it, Alfred finished AB Management Economics in Ateneo de Manila as his undergrad. He then took up his MPA in UPNCPAG.

"I will do everything I can to get that PhD from UPSURP in the next few years," he vowed.

Comments