Ladine Roxas, Kris Lawrence record award-winning song 'Within'

(From left): Vehnee Saturno, Ladine Roxas and Kris Lawrence

Ladine Roxas returns to the music scene with a bang by recording a duet version of  "Within" with R&B singer Kris Lawrence.

Written by Vehnee Saturno, "Within" won the Best Song plum in the 1st Asia New Singers Competition in Beijing, China in 2010. It also bagged for interpreter Lordenn Panganiban the Best Performer award.

At the press conference held recently in time for the release of the song, Ladine revealed it started for her when she realized how much she had missed singing.

"I went up to Vehnee and told him, 'Andami kong kinakanta dahil sa pagtuturo ko sa Vehnee Saturno Music Training Center---san ko gagamitin tong mga to?" she said. "At napahinga ng husto ang boses ko noong pandemic, so nakita ko ang power nito (ngayon), kaya sayang naman kung hindi gagamitin."

Said to be somewhat inspired by the Mariah Cary and Boyz II Men's classic "One Sweet Day," agreeing to sing "Within" came easily to Kris foremost because of his relationship with Vehnee.

"I owe him a lot," he said. "I don't think I would have lasted this long in the industry if not for my hits 'Kung Malaya Lang Ako' and 'Ikaw Pala' both written by Vehnee. When he asked me if I could duet with Ladine, I immediately said yes even without knowing on what song."

Ladine said recording  the heartbreak song was challenging for her not only because it has several high parts, but she has been happy with her life for a long time now.

"You really have to feel the song kasi mahirap gawin yung harmony parts---lalo sa chorus---kung hindi mo ramdam yung kinakanta mo," she added.

Actually, Ladine had always loved "Within." She likes it that the message of the song is not just for lovers, but can transcend any kind of relationship.

"Natutulog lang ang song for the longest time so I told Vehnee, 'Maybe because para sa amin talaga (ni Kris) itong kanta,'" she added.

Kris said that while he did not have enough time to study the song since they hit the recording studio shortly after he said yes, music "magic" happened immediately when he got together with Ladine and Vehnee.  

"Everything just flowed. I found my way into and through the song by changing some of the melodic lines to suit how I feel interpreting 'Within.' Mahirap yung kanta pero sobrang ganda."




Comments