From pageantry to public service: Why Samantha Panlilio could make the change we need

Samantha Panlilio

 Bb. Pilipinas Grand International 2021 Samantha Panlilio took  a significant step towards youth empowerment last month with the inauguration of Pangarap at Kalinga Foundation in her hometown of Ternate, Cavite.


The foundation makes education and other resources accessible to children helping hone their potential so they could realize their dreams.

But it doesn't end there. The heiress is taking her advocacy to the next level – as the second nominee of the incumbent AGIMAT party-list group in the Philippines’ House of Representatives.

Along with select members of media, we met with Samantha few days ago and, over lunch, got to know more about this beautiful lady with substance and purpose:



How is it being an heiress?

"Being an heiress, I feel blessed that I'm able to help the family business. But most people don't understand that I've been working since I was 10 years old! Been sitting in business meetings----even dinners are spent on conversation about the business. At a young age, I learned how to put my family business even before my needs.

"So, being an heiress, yes, it has a nice ring to it but it comes with huge responsibilities."

What businesses do you run?

"I am the Chief Operating Officer of Boulevard Holdings, Inc. Under that would be the Fridays brand: the resort, Fridays Boracay that we are trying to rebuild; we're building Fridays Siargao; and I'm also managing Fridays Puerto Galera.

"Other than that, we have Puerto Azul Land Inc.---we're trying to rehabilitate it ---and the Solaire group will be building developments there too.

"I have a beauty brand coming up and it matches my foundation's name, PAK. And I have a photography studio too, PAK Studios."

Tell us more about your foundation.

"Pangarap and Kalinga Foundation is about letting children dream freely in a stable environment. They should have basic necessities, like, food, water and electricity, and education. 

"They need to feel safe for them to be able to dream---that's the Pangarap side. 

"As for Kalinga, we want to show them that someone cares for them, and showing care even in just one event goes a long way. Hopefully, they will give back to their community in the future."




How did the foundation start?

"I've always wanted to build a foundation but I wasn't connected to the right people in order to do that. By chance, when I met Konsehal Kim Soberano in Maragondon about a month ago, that's when I realized this is the best way to do it. And since it's my hometown, it really hits home."

How do you find the time for everything you do?

"I always say that if you want to do something, you'll find a way to do it. In the same way na kung hindi mo gustong gawin, you'll find an excuse. It's all about time management, about priorities. And as someone who grew up in the business world, in the business realm, I had to do a lot of time management especially with the number of companies under my umbrella."

How important is it for you to build your own name?

"I'm all about legacy, sustaining that legacy. I actually joined Binibining Pilipinas again because of legacy (her aunt Myrna Panlilio is the first Bb Pilipinas Universe).

"But my dad has always allowed  me to explore different facets of myself. And so I joined beauty pageants kasi syempre I was always destined to come back from the US to help in the family business after my four years there from college. But then I said, 'Dad, teka wait lang ha gusto ko um-aura!' I so wanted to discover more of myself and of course make a name for myself. I don't want to rely on just my last name."



How does it work for you straddling different worlds?

"Different worlds, yes, but they are all kind of interconnected.

"What I found most helpful is that during my run in Binibini or even Miss Grand, I was able to pull my business networks and connections in order to help also with my advocacies. 

"And I think it's the same for public service. I can use my business connections. Like, my partners, Raddison Hotels, they are donating to PAK Foundaton in order for us to help build classrooms.

"I really am a firm believer that if you have a strong community who want to help each other, then you can really achieve great things."

Have you always wanted to become a public servant?

"My eyes were opened to public service when I joined beauty pageants kasi you need to have an advocacy sa pageant---wala kang choice. It's great that when I was in high school---I studied in Las Pinas, sa Southville International School---they required us to have creative acts of service.

"So, at a young age, I was already very exposed to it. And my father and I would help out different communities in Ternate Cavite, and even in Boracay where we donated items from our demolished resort to fire victims.

 "Growing up, I always knew I would have to give back to the communty one way or the other. And after being exposed to pageantry alongside my business, I thought what better platform to get into than this, to actually help people and make a signifucant change."

If there's one problem in society that you can solve with the wave of a magic wand, what would it be and why?

"I think it's quality education....go drive to Cavite, madaming schools ang kulang ng electric fan, kulang ng chalkboard. Or the educational system is not updated or it's not to the highest par level. Education is one of the key factors for the economy to grow as well.

"It hasn't been completely addressed because things take time. Like, bills and laws to be passed. So, I think the best thing to do is to be active in your local community and see how you can help."



How are you so down to earth given your last name?

"I have to give it to my education in the US. Most kids here have a silver spoon in their mouth, pero when I went to the US, I went there alone at 17 to 22 years old. I was alone with no famly or relatives so I had to learn how to work my way up in life.

"And my dad made sure I was very independent from my family as well which I very much appreciated. 

"Also, growing up, my mom and dad have always been down to earth as well . They instilled in me na just because we are maybr a bit more blessed, it doesn't mean you have to distance yourself.  

"We are a land development corporation and we're close to all our employees. They've been with us for more than 20 years years so we're like family to one another."

What is your mindset entering public service?

"I always try to move with grace and integrity. Just don't lie. Do your best. And have good intentions because if you have good intentions, you end up where you are meant to end up. 

"Public servive is all about giving. When people ask for it, it's their right because they paid for it. It's about strategically helping people by giving them better programs."


Comments